Monday, April 5, 2010

April 4, 2010 (Easter)

Well, Easter morning turned out to be one of the most epic birding days I've had in a while. Let me explain...

We live along the Eagle River in Edwards, CO. I can look out my window and see the river and I drive by it everyday. There are always ducks but usually just the normal mallards and Canadian Geese. But, especially during spring migration, you might see something different. And that morning, I did.


I'm always excited when I see a lot of white on a duck or solid ducks. That normally means that they are something different than the common, resident mallards. I pulled up on the gravel shoulder of the road and I knew I was looking at something special. Not only were there a lot of ducks, there was a species to add to my lifelist: the Cinnamon Teal! And not just a pair...10 pairs!! They were beautiful! The deep rust color of their feathers and that red eye were a sight to behold! I was so excited! So, I started to scan the rest of the river. All of a sudden, I had seven different species in my binoculars. There were the Cinnamon Teal (10 pairs), Mallards, Green-Winged Teal, Gadwall, Northern Shovelers (3 pairs), American Wigeon and Common Golden-eye, not to mention the Canadian Geese!! What a morning!! I feel like I may have gotten lucky to be there at the right time in the morning not to mention the right day. Those type of days are what makes birding worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment