Thursday, April 8, 2010

What is that?

Wow, I can't believe what I saw this evening! My husband was out cooking on the grill and called me out on the back deck. He is a total non-birder and calls me a nerd every chance he gets...but he is interested just the same. I went out and heard a ruckus of honking/croaking overhead. It couldn't be Canadian Geese because it didn't sound right, but I did recognize the sound. Hmmmm, but why did I recognize it? The birds were circling, higher and higher, so I went and got my binoculars. They were gray to the eye from underneath but looked to have white heads....and feet past their tail?? Definitely not geese! Sandhill Cranes!!!! I knew I recognized the sound!! When I lived in St. Cloud, FL with my Aunt Sandra, these guys were bascially resident on East Lake Tahopekaliga, a block away! Sooooooo awesome!!! In reading my bird books, the Rocky Mountains has a population that visits the mountains during the summer...who knew???!!! Super stoked to see the cranes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment